That's what they say in real estate - location is everything! Well, there is something to that saying in photography as well. Although in professional photography, the location is really dependent on what you, the client, wants and what will best meet your needs.
Some questions that will help you determine whether you want in studio or on location include:
1) Do you spend lots of time outdoors and is that a better representation of you/your family?
2) Do you and your family have specific activities that you love? Are these outside activities?
3) Do you want to be photographed while engaged in these activities? On your boat? On your motorcycle? Your backyard? Near a lake or pond?
4) Do you have a favorite location? A lake? A park? Cityscape? Your home? Maybe you have access to a beautiful interior setting.
5) Are you looking for a more controlled setting?
We have a variety of backdrops for in studio sessions, and we can make suggestions for outside locations around the DFW Metroplex for your family portraits or professional headshots. We have had photography sessions in a variety of settings in Arlington, Mansfield, Grand Prairie, Dallas, and Fort Worth.
See images below to see some of the backdrop options and outdoor location settings. Note that the same backdrop can look different, i.e. lighter or darker, depending on the lighting set up. Outside locations have included Lakeside Park in Dallas, Trinity Groves in Dallas, DBU in Dallas, River Legacy Park in Arlington, Elmer Oliver Park in Mansfield, TCU in Fort Worth to name some of my favorite go to spots! But hey, you may have a great spot that will be unique to you!